Welcome To English Department
'Soft Skills Development Programme'
'International Conference 2019'
'International Conference 2019'
'Renuka Singh receiving the Shankar Dayal Sharma Gold Medal'
'Ms. Vaidehi Joshi felicitated by the Principal for receiving Tyagmurti Shrimati Saraswati Ramchandra Shelar Gold Medal'
'Ms. Vaidehi Joshi felicitated by Hon. Ajitdada Pawar Deputy CM'
'E-RYLA International Soft Skills Development Programme'
'International Peace Conference'
'International Peace Conference Zoom Meeting'
Profile of the Deparment
Department of English was established in 1992. The main dictum of the department is to enhance students? communicative competence and to make them efficient users of English language. The department believes that enhancement of communicative competence leads to the empowerment of students for facing global challenges successfully in diverse situations. In order to achieve this goal, the department conducts varied activities and encourages participation of the students leading to their overall development. The Department believes in commitment and team work.
The department offers UG, PG courses and has a Research Centre for M.Phil. and Ph.D. The Department also had collaboration with Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong and conducted Business English through Animation. Currently it also runs a short term Spoken English course and a collaborative course "Cognitive Exchange" conducted by the Cognitive Exchange team in California.
Information about the Courses
Name of the Program
(Choice Based Credit System)
(Choice Based Credit System)
|Minimum 3 Years|
FYBA; Syllabus Link
SYBA; Syllabus Link
TYBA Syllabus Link
The Department of English sensitizes students towards language and literature learning, thereby fostering skills to promote future professionals in the fields of education, research, business, and publishing.
Mission of the Department of English
- To enhance the communicative competence of the students.
- To appreciate and analyze literary texts from various perspectives.
- To urge students to perceive themselves as professionals in teaching, publishing, or research.
Area of Research
Area of Research
- English Literature
- American Literature
- Indian English Literature
- Post-Colonial Literature
- Literary Criticism
- Diaspora Literature
- English Language Teaching
- Lecture method
- Remedial Teaching for weaker students
- Experiential Learning: Field Visit, Visit to Language Institute
- Collaborative Learning: Business English Through Animation, Cognitive Exchange Programm, Blog Writing and Story Building
- Participatory Learning: Soft-Skills Development Programme
- Google classroom: Google classroom is used to give assignments and notes; to upload question papers and additional information to the students.
- Use of ICT tools: Powerpoint presentations, use of LCD, Youtube links of the video clips of the prescribed short stories, novels and dramas.
e-PG Pathshala is an initiative of the MHRD under its National Mission on Education through ICT (NME-ICT) being executed by the UGC. Following is the link for e-PG Pathshala
Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
- International Colloquium on Contemporary Issues in Language Learning, Teaching, Literature, Media and Culture 2015:
- Collaboration with Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius
- One Day International Workshop on ?Enhancement of Competence in English for Research Purposes?
- Story Building and Story Writing Workshop
- Soft Skills Development Programme
- English Improvement Course
- Spoken English Course
- Teachers Day Celebration
- Film Club Publicity:
The news related to the Soft Skills Development Programme, International Workshop on Enhancement of Competence in English for Research Purposes and Collaboration was published in different newspapers such as Daily Sakal, Lokmat, Pudhari, Prabhat, Pimpri Chinchwad News Portal etc.
- The Cognitive Exchange Programme: The cognitive exchange programme was another feather in the cap of the Department of English. This programme of 9 weeks was initiated by PDEA and Mr. Amit Deokule, the regional coordinator. It was a virtual classroom interactive activity where students were given lessons on speech and debate by the faculty of California.
2. Workshops/ Activities/ Guest Lectures:
- Workshop on Public Speaking and Blog Writing: A workshop on public speaking and blog writing was organized in collaboration with VIHA on the Foundation Day of Pune District Education Association 7th September, 2015. Around 109 students actively participated in the workshop. They were guided by Mrs. Archana Dahiwal, Director VIHA, Mrs. Anjali Shette Shirsath, Feature Editor TOI, Mr.Yash Deo from Sakal Times.
- Screening of Films: Films like The Merchant of Venice, The Old Stone Mansion, The Doll?s House, Lawley Road , Kabuliwala, Animal Farm, Old Man and The Sea and the Guide were screened for the students of Special English. All the films projected were based on the prescribed texts.
- Extension Activity: Apart from the above-mentioned activities related to the academics, the faculty and the students are also involved in social activities. The department provided financial aid to an NGO, Drishti- The Vision for the Blind?. Students of the department viz Jivan Raut, Rahul Girme, Pallavi and Reshma are actively involved in this endeavour and they lend a helping hand as writers for blind students during examinations. The students also donated edible oil to an orphanage.
- Slogan Writing Competition: A slogan writing competition was conducted by the department on the theme of environment Students came up with innovative slogans regarding preservation of environment. More than 100 students participated in the competition.
- Film Festival:A film fest was organized by the department from 3rd December to 10th December 2016. All the films which were screened were based on the prescribed texts of SYBA and TYBA.The films screened were The Doll?s House, The Merchant of Venice, An Old Stone Mansion, 20 years, Kabulliwallah, Lawley Road, Animal Farm, After Old Man and the Sea and the Guide. The concerned faculty guided the students regarding the characterization, plot and theme of the films screened.
- Food Festival:On the occasion of the silver jubilee celebration, the college arranged for a food festival of 25 food stalls. The students of SYBA, special English put up a stall of zunka bhakar, the staple diet of Maharashtra.
- Remedial Teaching: The staff members of the department conducted the Remedial Teaching sessions for the students of FYBA from. The sessions were conducted by Dr. Shilpagauri Prasad Ganpule, Prof. Namrata Alhat and Dr. Ashutosh Thakare.
- Parent Teacher Meeting: A special Parent Teacher Meeting was organized by the department on 22nd February, 2018. Nearly parents visited the Department. Prof. Namrata Alhat took special efforts for the successful organization of the Meeting.
- A 3-Day Workshop for School Teachers of PDEA
- Developing the Leader in You
- Literary Fest
- Guest lecture on Cultural Exchange:
3. Soft-Skill Development Programme:
The department conducted a 10 day soft-skill development programme from 23rd February to 5th March, 2016 to enhance the personality of the students. Mrs. Madhura Kulkarni, Dr. Sangle, Dr.Sangeeta Ranade, Dr. Pradnya Kulkarni, Dr. Manjusha Dhumal, Dr. Shilpagauri Ganpule, Ms. Namrata Alhat, Mr. Ashutosh Thakre and Ms. Rupal Waghmare oriented and guided the students on effective communication, confidence building, stress management, interview techniques, positive thinking, group discussion, problem solving techniques, etc.
4. Faculty Achievements:
- Visit to the Scottish Embassy and an Interview on the Radio in Austria: Dr. Sangita Ghodake's interview on 'Status of Women in India' was transmitted on 16th July, 2014 on the local radio in Austria. She visited the Scottish Embassy and met the ambassador of Scotland.
- Visits to the Centre of Marathi Studies, Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius and Open University, Moka, Mauritius: Dr. Shilpagauri Ganpule visited the Centre of Marathi Studies, Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius and the Open University, Moka, Mauritius on 8th and 9th January, 2015 and met Dr., Director, Mahatma Gandhi Institute and Dr. Director General, Open University, Moka, Mauritius. She met Hon. Shantaram Baboo, the Cultural Minister, Government of Mauritius.
5. Students' Achievements:
- Miss Karishma Jadhav attended a University level one day workshop on SET/NET Examinations held at B. R. Gholap College, Sangvi, Pune.
- Ujjwal Aaglawe got the First Prize in the competition organized by the Competitive Examination Cell of the college on the occasion of Hon. Ajitdada Pawar?s birthday.
- Priya Garade stood first in girls in the examination conducted by the Competitive Examination Cell of the college.
- Datta Waghmode and Ganesh Gaikwad of TYBA attended the Shakespeare International Film Festival organized by the Film Archive, Pune.
- Ms. Reshma Makarand, (TYBA) was unanimously elected as the University Representative for the year 2017-18. It is indeed a proud moment for the department.
- Mr. Brijesh Deshmukh (PhD) student was short listed for the State Level Avishkar Competition held in 2017.
- The students of TYBA and SYBA participated in a Dance therapy for Stress Management workshop held at Kaveri College, Kothrud.
6. Departmental Visits:
- Visit to Marathi Sahitya Sammelan: Students and faculty members also visited the Marathi Sahitya Sammelan held at DY Patil college and had the opportunity to listen to the interview of the reputed novelist Chetan Bhagat.
Visit to Ramkrishna More Auditorium, Chinchwad: The students of SYBA (English) visited Ramkrishna More Auditorium, Chinchwad on 17th September , 2017. They prepared a project on the basis of the visit. They also watched 3 one act plays. A Project competition was organized for the same.
- Visit to Deccan College, Pune: Undergraduate and Postgraduate students got the opportunity to attend the Open Day organized by the Department of Linguistics of Deccan College on 26th February, 2019.
SPOKEN ENGLISH COURSE
Short Term Course in Spoken English
The Department of English has been conducting "A Short Term Course in Spoken English" for two credits. The details of the course are as follows:
Title of the course:Communication and Spoken English
Total credits---- 02
1) Kulkarni Supriya (9922776103)
2) Samindar P. B. (9922750468)
3) Shaikh Parvez (9284014796)
Content of proposed course-- To enhance verbal and non-verbal communication skills of students with an intension to improve the skills of reading and writing, language and conversational ability in various mediums such as presentation (written - graphics and audio) face to face etc. To enable the student to ultimately explain / defend his/her PERSONALITY to single person or panel. Enabling students to pursue the practical knowledge of the spoken language to students start their tuition classes/ Spoken English academy, as a trainer in Business English in corporate sector, can work as freelancers/ copywriters in magazines and can work in publishing houses.
The students will be exposed to all the four basic skills of language(LSRW), can be able to start their own academy or work in institutions, corporate sectore.
Annual Report of Department of English [Academic Year 2020-21]
Annual Report of Department of English
[Academic Year 2020-21]
At the onset of the Pandemic, this Academic year was quite challenging from
the academic point of view. Several novel changes were brought out in the
teaching methods. The Online method of teaching was adopted for which the
faculty underwent training. The Faculty Development programme conducted by
Ramanujan College, New Delhi rigorously trained the teachers in online
teaching methods. All the faculty members of the Department of English also
prepared audio, video records of their teaching. Experts from SPPU provided
LMS training to the teachers. The faculty recorded their topics related to the
syllabus in the Savitribai Phule Pune University recording studio. All the
teachers attended various national and international webinars.
The Department conducted an online soft skills programme for the students
which received an overwhelming response. It was a 10 days programme
conducted from 10 th August 2020 to 21 st August 2020. This programme included
topics like Group Discussion, Interview techniques, Problem-solving strategies,
Confidence Building, Creative Thinking.
The Department also conducted Spoken English classes from 5th to January
2020 to 25 th March 2021.
An International Students Cultural Exchange programme was organised in
collaboration with the Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius on 28/
May/2021--. There was an overwhelming response with more than two hundred
students participating in this programme showcasing their talents in varied fields.
Our Post Graduate student, Ms Vaidehi Joshi received the Prestigious
Tyagmurti Shrimati Saraswati Ramchandra Shelar Gold Medal for her
performance at the PG level.
Our Undergraduate and Post Graduate students participated in various online
intercollegiate and National level competitions like quizzes, Essay writing etc.
Despite Covid times, the department overcame the challenging period and also
successfully conducted and assessed online test series and Examinations.
Dr. Manjusha Dhumal
Head, Department of English.
Department of English Annual Report 2021-22
Department of English
Annual Report 2021-22
An International soft skills Development Programme was organised by the
Department of English in Collaboration with Rotary Club of Alabang Madrigal,
Philippines, Rotary Club of Chinchwad from 27 th August 2021 to 31 st August
2021.Eminent speakers from the USA, Australia, Philippines, Finland , Austria
guided the students on varied topics like Time management, Problem solving
Strategies, Stress management, Positive Thinking and Effective Communication
.More than ------participants from ----- countries benefitted from the expertise of
2. International Peace Conference
International Rotary Peace Conference 2021 was the FIRST
INTERNATIONAL PEACE CONFERENCE in India and in the Rotary World
in RY 2021-22. It was a two-day conference held on 18 th and 19 th of September
2021. All the research scholars of the Department of English and the faculty as
well contributed their research papers to a special edition of PEACE- Open
Access peer-reviewed journal. The idea behind the conference was to bring
forth the varied facets of PEACE and the noteworthy role it plays in resolving
age-long conflicts. Thus the objective of the Conference was to promote
PEACE by resolving conflicts at individual, regional, national, and international
levels. The conference received an overwhelming response with a total of 751+
registrations from 37 diverse countries.
3. Virtual Rotary Youth Exchange Programme- In this programme, two
students from the Department were selected who had an Online interaction with
the allotted family and actively participated in online courses for language
learning and many other things of mutual interest.
On the same grounds students from Indonesia were guided on varied topics like
Business communication, Glimpses on Indian Culture, Architecture and Interior
Design and Human Resources.
The students had an opportunity to learn a new culture, a new language and
develop an everlasting bond with the families abroad. They also got
opportunities to present themselves, expand their vision about their future
career, become more confident, and enhance their Personality by gaining an
International exposure. The Virtual Rotary Youth Exchange 2021-22
commenced on the 1st of November 2021. It was a 3-month short-term course.
4. Internship of students: Renuka Singh from MA I and Prashant Umap from
TYBA were chosen for Indonesia District 3420 MSI Consulting, Indonesia. It
was a three-month Internship programme which these students completed
5. Award: President Shankar Dayal Sharma Gold medal from SPPU-Renuka
Singh and also assisted in virtual New Generation Service Exchange (NGSE)
programme initiated by Rotary District 3131 India and Rotary District-
6. John Maxwell workshop- The students of the department attended an 8-
week workshop on Transformational Leadership from 8/ November /21in
collaboration with ASEAN YOUTH ORGANISATION and the Rotary Club of
Alabang, Madrigal Business Park, Philippines. The topics covered in the
workshop were leadership skills, Feedback mechanisms, Time management,
and Problem-solving strategies.
7. BRICS WORKSHOP -It was organised from11/April/22 to 22/ April/22 by the
project office of youth international cooperation ?Russia-BRICS? together with
the foundation ?Ulyanovsk ? Capital of Culture? and the Government of the
Ulyanovsk Region with the support of the Federal Agency for Youth Affairs of
the Russian Federation ?Rosmolodezh?. The aim of the Forum was to unite the
leaders of youth non-profit organizations from Russia and 10 foreign countries
and engage in public diplomacy in their territories. It was an initiative that
aimed at expanding dialogue with each other. The Forum became a common
space for discussing the public diplomacy development issues in the world,
finding solutions, and establishing cooperation among youth leaders from 11
countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Ghana, Kazakhstan,
Indonesia, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Uzbekistan). The forum selected 45 young
people (18-35 years old) from the BRICS++ countries who: ? have experience
in participation and/or organizing international youth projects. It was a matter of
honour for the department of English that their students got selected for the
same and could indeed participate at the global level.
8. Industrial visit: A field visit/ industrial visit was organised by Rotary Club
of Chinchwad-Pune and the Department of English of Prof.Ramkrishna More
Arts, Science, Commerce College, Akurdi on 18th February 2022 to Saakshi
Machine and Tools Pvt. Ltd industry. Around 20 students accompanied by two
Department professors. All the students submitted the project related to the
Industrial visit in the form of Report.
9. Covid Metaphor Project. This project has teams from ten countries working
in more than fifteen languages. Hedra EU Project ?Covid-19 and the
lexicogrammar of pain?. research collaboration, Vienna, Austria. Prof.
Shilpagauri Ganpule and Prof. Manjusha Dhumal , along with six research
scholars are part of the above project.
10. PhD. Degree : A PhD. Degree was awarded to Hanumant Nayane, a
research Scholar from the department under the guidance of Prof. Dr.
11. Research Scholarships- It was a matter of pride for the department that two
Research Scholars from the Department Prerna Kshirsagar and Ajit Bhosale
received Mahajyoti and BARTI research Scholarships respectively.
Prof . Manjusha Dhumal
Head, Department of English.