Welcome To English Department
'Soft Skills Development Programme'
'International Conference 2019'
'International Conference 2019'
Profile of the Deparment
Department of English was established in 1992. The main dictum of the department is to enhance students? communicative competence and to make them efficient users of English language. The department believes that enhancement of communicative competence leads to the empowerment of students for facing global challenges successfully in diverse situations. In order to achieve this goal, the department conducts varied activities and encourages participation of the students leading to their overall development. The Department believes in commitment and team work.
The department offers UG, PG courses and has a Research Centre for M.Phil. and Ph.D. The Department also had collaboration with Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong and conducted Business English through Animation. Currently it also runs a short term Spoken English course and a collaborative course "Cognitive Exchange" conducted by the Cognitive Exchange team in California.
Information about the Courses
Name of the Program
3 Years (Annual System)
2 Years (Credit System)
Miunimum 2 Years
|Minimum 3 Years|
The Department of English sensitizes students towards language and literature learning, thereby fostering skills to promote future professionals in the fields of education, research, business, and publishing.
Mission of the Department of English
- To enhance the communicative competence of the students.
- To appreciate and analyze literary texts from various perspectives.
- To urge students to perceive themselves as professionals in teaching, publishing, or research.
Area of Research
Area of Research
- English Literature
- American Literature
- Indian English Literature
- Post-Colonial Literature
- Literary Criticism
- Diaspora Literature
- English Language Teaching
- Lecture method
- Remedial Teaching for weaker students
- Experiential Learning: Field Visit, Visit to Language Institute
- Collaborative Learning: Business English Through Animation, Cognitive Exchange Programm, Blog Writing and Story Building
- Participatory Learning: Soft-Skills Development Programme
- Google classroom: Google classroom is used to give assignments and notes; to upload question papers and additional information to the students.
- Use of ICT tools: Powerpoint presentations, use of LCD, Youtube links of the video clips of the prescribed short stories, novels and dramas.
e-PG Pathshala is an initiative of the MHRD under its National Mission on Education through ICT (NME-ICT) being executed by the UGC. Following is the link for e-PG Pathshala
Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
- International Colloquium on Contemporary Issues in Language Learning, Teaching, Literature, Media and Culture 2015:
- Collaboration with Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius
- One Day International Workshop on ?Enhancement of Competence in English for Research Purposes?
- Story Building and Story Writing Workshop
- Soft Skills Development Programme
- English Improvement Course
- Spoken English Course
- Teachers Day Celebration
- Film Club Publicity:
The news related to the Soft Skills Development Programme, International Workshop on Enhancement of Competence in English for Research Purposes and Collaboration was published in different newspapers such as Daily Sakal, Lokmat, Pudhari, Prabhat, Pimpri Chinchwad News Portal etc.
- The Cognitive Exchange Programme: The cognitive exchange programme was another feather in the cap of the Department of English. This programme of 9 weeks was initiated by PDEA and Mr. Amit Deokule, the regional coordinator. It was a virtual classroom interactive activity where students were given lessons on speech and debate by the faculty of California.
2. Workshops/ Activities/ Guest Lectures:
- Workshop on Public Speaking and Blog Writing: A workshop on public speaking and blog writing was organized in collaboration with VIHA on the Foundation Day of Pune District Education Association 7th September, 2015. Around 109 students actively participated in the workshop. They were guided by Mrs. Archana Dahiwal, Director VIHA, Mrs. Anjali Shette Shirsath, Feature Editor TOI, Mr.Yash Deo from Sakal Times.
- Screening of Films: Films like The Merchant of Venice, The Old Stone Mansion, The Doll?s House, Lawley Road , Kabuliwala, Animal Farm, Old Man and The Sea and the Guide were screened for the students of Special English. All the films projected were based on the prescribed texts.
- Extension Activity: Apart from the above-mentioned activities related to the academics, the faculty and the students are also involved in social activities. The department provided financial aid to an NGO, Drishti- The Vision for the Blind?. Students of the department viz Jivan Raut, Rahul Girme, Pallavi and Reshma are actively involved in this endeavour and they lend a helping hand as writers for blind students during examinations. The students also donated edible oil to an orphanage.
- Slogan Writing Competition: A slogan writing competition was conducted by the department on the theme of environment Students came up with innovative slogans regarding preservation of environment. More than 100 students participated in the competition.
- Film Festival:A film fest was organized by the department from 3rd December to 10th December 2016. All the films which were screened were based on the prescribed texts of SYBA and TYBA.The films screened were The Doll?s House, The Merchant of Venice, An Old Stone Mansion, 20 years, Kabulliwallah, Lawley Road, Animal Farm, After Old Man and the Sea and the Guide. The concerned faculty guided the students regarding the characterization, plot and theme of the films screened.
- Food Festival:On the occasion of the silver jubilee celebration, the college arranged for a food festival of 25 food stalls. The students of SYBA, special English put up a stall of zunka bhakar, the staple diet of Maharashtra.
- Remedial Teaching: The staff members of the department conducted the Remedial Teaching sessions for the students of FYBA from. The sessions were conducted by Dr. Shilpagauri Prasad Ganpule, Prof. Namrata Alhat and Dr. Ashutosh Thakare.
- Parent Teacher Meeting: A special Parent Teacher Meeting was organized by the department on 22nd February, 2018. Nearly parents visited the Department. Prof. Namrata Alhat took special efforts for the successful organization of the Meeting.
- A 3-Day Workshop for School Teachers of PDEA
- Developing the Leader in You
- Literary Fest
- Guest lecture on Cultural Exchange:
3. Soft-Skill Development Programme:
The department conducted a 10 day soft-skill development programme from 23rd February to 5th March, 2016 to enhance the personality of the students. Mrs. Madhura Kulkarni, Dr. Sangle, Dr.Sangeeta Ranade, Dr. Pradnya Kulkarni, Dr. Manjusha Dhumal, Dr. Shilpagauri Ganpule, Ms. Namrata Alhat, Mr. Ashutosh Thakre and Ms. Rupal Waghmare oriented and guided the students on effective communication, confidence building, stress management, interview techniques, positive thinking, group discussion, problem solving techniques, etc.
4. Faculty Achievements:
- Visit to the Scottish Embassy and an Interview on the Radio in Austria: Dr. Sangita Ghodake's interview on 'Status of Women in India' was transmitted on 16th July, 2014 on the local radio in Austria. She visited the Scottish Embassy and met the ambassador of Scotland.
- Visits to the Centre of Marathi Studies, Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius and Open University, Moka, Mauritius: Dr. Shilpagauri Ganpule visited the Centre of Marathi Studies, Mahatma Gandhi Institute, Moka, Mauritius and the Open University, Moka, Mauritius on 8th and 9th January, 2015 and met Dr., Director, Mahatma Gandhi Institute and Dr. Director General, Open University, Moka, Mauritius. She met Hon. Shantaram Baboo, the Cultural Minister, Government of Mauritius.
5. Students' Achievements:
- Miss Karishma Jadhav attended a University level one day workshop on SET/NET Examinations held at B. R. Gholap College, Sangvi, Pune.
- Ujjwal Aaglawe got the First Prize in the competition organized by the Competitive Examination Cell of the college on the occasion of Hon. Ajitdada Pawar?s birthday.
- Priya Garade stood first in girls in the examination conducted by the Competitive Examination Cell of the college.
- Datta Waghmode and Ganesh Gaikwad of TYBA attended the Shakespeare International Film Festival organized by the Film Archive, Pune.
- Ms. Reshma Makarand, (TYBA) was unanimously elected as the University Representative for the year 2017-18. It is indeed a proud moment for the department.
- Mr. Brijesh Deshmukh (PhD) student was short listed for the State Level Avishkar Competition held in 2017.
- The students of TYBA and SYBA participated in a Dance therapy for Stress Management workshop held at Kaveri College, Kothrud.
6. Departmental Visits:
- Visit to Marathi Sahitya Sammelan: Students and faculty members also visited the Marathi Sahitya Sammelan held at DY Patil college and had the opportunity to listen to the interview of the reputed novelist Chetan Bhagat.
Visit to Ramkrishna More Auditorium, Chinchwad: The students of SYBA (English) visited Ramkrishna More Auditorium, Chinchwad on 17th September , 2017. They prepared a project on the basis of the visit. They also watched 3 one act plays. A Project competition was organized for the same.
- Visit to Deccan College, Pune: Undergraduate and Postgraduate students got the opportunity to attend the Open Day organized by the Department of Linguistics of Deccan College on 26th February, 2019.